The PGA Tour’s next stop is the Bermuda Championship. Photo by @Bermuda_Champ (Twitter)
- The Bermuda Championship at Port Royal Golf Course tees off Thursday, October 29th
- Will Zalatoris and defending champion Brendon Todd are the top two favorites to win outright
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
The last two weeks on the PGA Tour have featured fantastic fields at the CJ Cup and Zozo Championship, which can’t be said about the Bermuda Championship this week. Defending champion Brendon Todd is the lone top-50 player in the world competing, with Henrik Stenson the next highest ranked golfer teeing it up.
This track isn’t totally unfamiliar to golf fans as it used to host the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, which had the previous year’s major winners competing in an exhibition match. Last year this was the alternate event to the WGC-HSBC Champions, but with the cancellation of that tournament it stands alone as the only event on tour this go around.
With the field being so weak, there’s a great chance of an unheralded player with long odds to break through and earn a PGA Tour victory, much like Brendon Todd did last year when he shockingly returned to the winner’s circle after a five year absence.
2020 Bermuda Championship Odds
|Harold Varner III||+2200|
Odds taken October 26th from FanDuel
Brendon Todd Looks to Repeat
To say that Todd had fallen off the map before his triumph at last year’s Bermuda Championship would be a massive understatement. Following his victory at the 2014 AT&T Byron Nelson, he eventually fell outside the top 2000 players in the world and missed 37 of 41 cuts at one point.
Brendon Todd is on 🔥 today.
He makes his ninth birdie in 11 holes to extend his lead at the Bermuda Championship.
— Golf Digest (@GolfDigest) November 3, 2019
After a run of some solid play throughout the summer months, Todd has fallen into a bit of a rut with his game, where he’s been T-47 and T-52 the last two weeks. He lost over eight shots to the field tee-to-green at the CJ Cup and over three at the Zozo Championship in that category.
His crazy comeback story at this track last year not withstanding, his +1200 odds are too low to feel full confidence in backing him this week given his recent form.
Bermuda Championship Best Value Picks
- Kristoffer Ventura (+3100): Has already posted a pair of top ten finishes in the new season, where he was right in the thick of things on Sunday before finishing T-6 at the Sanderson Farms and T-7 at the Safeway Open. Gained ten strokes on the field off the tee and nine shots putting in those events.
- Peter Malnati (+4200): Surprisingly high odds given the fact that in his last two times teeing it up, Malnati was solo second at the Sanderson Farms and T-5th at the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open. First in strokes gained putting in the early part of the 2020-21 season.
- Hank Lebioda (+10000): Long shot deeper dive with potential upside. Finished in a tie for third at this track last year with a blistering Sunday round of 63. Has made four of his last six cuts on tour with two top-26 results.
Michael “Hound Dog” Harrison is well known in the sports industry as the resident statisitician for the Jay and Dan Show. He has worked at TSN for over 13 years, where he’s been featured on Sportscentre, That’s Hockey, That’s Hockey 2Nite, The Masters preview shows, and several more.